In 1869, the Russian scientist Mendeleev created the periodic table of elements. He arranged the 63 elements known at that time in the form of a table according to their atomic weights, and put the elements with similar chemical properties in the same row, in which oxygen was ranked eighth, and two oxygen elements could form a colorless and odorless gas – oxygen. Without oxygen, plants, animals, and humans would not be able to breathe, and in a sense, it is oxygen that builds our life.
What about aquatic organisms? What role does oxygen play?
One thing is for sure, oxygen is the basis for the survival of fish and aquatic organisms. Fish absorb oxygen from the water through their gills and exhale carbon dioxide. In general, natural water contains a certain amount of dissolved oxygen for fish and other aquatic organisms to survive. Therefore, the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water is not only related to the survival of fish, but also affects the feeding, growth and ecological balance, and stability of the fish, and is one of the important indicators of water quality.
When the water circulation is poorly designed or the density of fish kept in the aquarium is too high, the water at the bottom of the aquarium tends to lack oxygen (especially in summer), which can easily lead to fish sickness or hypoxia. Therefore, it is crucial thing for aquarium hobbyists to give their home aquarium the right amount of oxygen at the right time.
Here, give you several ways to supplement oxygen in the aquarium.
1. Biological oxygenation. The oxygen released by the photosynthesis of aquatic plants and phytoplankton in grass tanks, the bloom, and the decline of aquatic plants plays an important role in the dissolved oxygen of water. Under normal circumstances, the dissolved oxygen of the grass tank is higher than that of the bare tank.
2. Mechanical oxygenation. Through air pumps, submersible pumps, and other forms of forced oxygenation. Air pump-forced oxygenation is our main oxygen supply pathway.
3. Chemical oxygenation. Add chemicals to increase oxygen, mostly used for first aid when lacking oxygen. At present, the main chemical oxygenating agents used are calcium peroxide, hydrogen peroxide, ammonium peroxide disulfide, etc.
4. Change the water to increase oxygen. Replacing the new water can improve the dissolved oxygen, as well as in the process of changing the water flow through a certain flow and drop can make the dissolved oxygen increase.
5. The oxygen in the air is directly dissolved. The speed of air dissolved into the water with the atmospheric pressure, water temperature, salinity, water flow, airflow, and others related. In high atmospheric pressure, oxygen dissolved into the water body faster, the dissolved oxygen in the flow of water is generally higher than the static water.
Many fish lovers like to use air pumps to increase oxygen and think that as long as there are more bubbles will be high oxygen content, let’s understand the principle of the work of air pumps, air pumps through the air tube and air stones to launch many bubbles, however, these are just air, so the bubbles in the water do not increase the oxygen content.
When the bubbles rise to the surface and rupture, the moment of rupture will tear the skin of the water, and oxygen will enter at this time The water, so the fluctuating and undulating water surface is more able to bring a large amount of oxygen, which is the reason why filtration methods such as drip (overflow) are more suitable for nitrification survival than filtration methods such as top filtration and bucket filtration, because the epidermis of the water flowing from top to bottom in the filter tank is constantly torn, so there will be more oxygen.
Generally speaking, bubble stones can assist the air pump extremely well in the work of replenishing oxygen. Air bubble stones are usually made of quartz sand or wood or plastic, with more pores, and are usually connected to the air pump with an air delivery hose to convert the air compressed by the air pump into smaller bubbles.
Here, we recommend hygger Aquarium Air Stone Kit, Fish Tank Bubbler, Round Air Stone Disk Set for Hydroponics, Small Bubbles, and Ultra-High Dissolved Oxygen Diffuse.
Our Nano disc air stone is made of high-quality white alundum & brown alumina, fired at a high temperature of 1300 degrees Celsius.
Why choose Hygger Air Stone?
1. Ultra-high dissolved oxygen this upgraded Hygger air stone releases the bubbles smaller, denser, and uniform, which makes double the oxygen dissolving rate in water.
2. Produces small & dense bubbles quietly push out amounts of smaller and denser smooth bubbles than others, when the bubbles burst into the water, the sound is quieter. It can create the atomization effect and bubble beams will make your aquarium like a fairyland.
3. Weighs enough to sink 15.2oz/430g, and easily sits on the bottom without a suction cup. The diameter of the air diffuser area is 4 inches, not including the plastic border, suitable for freshwater and saltwater.
4. Driven by a 4W or larger wattage air pump the 4-inch air stone is compatible with a 4 mm or 8 mm airline tube, and the output air flow is 3L/Min. Please NOTE the deeper you put the air stone underwater, you may need to use a larger wattage air pump to drive it.
This kind of air bubble stone has the following features:
- Super sturdy & durable, service life can be 2 to 3 years.
- Weighs enough to sink in the bottom, no need for suction cups.
- Dissolve more oxygen in the water.
- Nice high output of amounts of bubbles.
- Produce quiet smooth dense small bubbles in the water.
- Strong filtration, for fresh and salt water.
- White color and disc shape, good decor for your aquarium.
- Easy to clean.
- Comes with other accessories.
Black Friday is coming, and anyone who chooses products before the 24th of this month can participate in the 20% off members-only discount. If you want to create a beautiful fairy bubbles wall in your aquarium, please buy 2 or more different sizes of air stones.